Name of the STEP traineeship provider
Council of Europe
Description of the STEP traineeship provider
The organisation offers the following 3 traineeships :
✓ A traineeship is available in the office of the Special Representative of the Secretary General on Migration and Refugees. The Special Representative's objective is to collect and analyze information on the human rights situation of migrants and refugees in Europe.
✓ Two traineeships are available in the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly:
- one in the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights. (Further information http://website-pace.net/en_GB/web/as-jur/main).
- one in the Committee on Social Affairs, Health and Sustainable Development. (Further information visit http://website-pace.net/en_GB/web/as-soc/main).
The Parliamentary Assembly consists of 324 members of parliament from the 47 member states; the Assembly elects the Secretary General, the Human Rights Commissioner and the judges to the European Court of Human Rights; it provides a democratic forum for debate and monitors elections; its committees play an important role in examining current issues. (Further information: http://assembly.coe.int/nw/Home-EN.asp)
- Legal research;
- Writing reports on legislation in member countries.
Organising ELSA Group
Place of the traineeship
Earliest start date
Viz additional information
Required Study Level
General Legal Skills required
Language skills required
English - fluent
French - good
Please state in the application for which traineeship position you are applying for.
Anyone who has already undertaken any kind of traineeship within the organisation is not eligible to have a STEP traineeship there.
- Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly - in the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights: duration: 6 - 8 weeks.
- The office of the Special Representative of the Secretary General on Migration and Refugees: 1 April - 29 June 2018; 2 July - 28 September 2018; 1 October - 21 December 2018; duration: flexible, preferable 3-4 months.
- The office of the Committee on Social Affairs, Health and Sustainable Development: duration: 6 - 8 weeks.
ELSA members are also invited to apply to the Council of Europe's Directorate General Human Rights and Rule of Law regular traineeship programmes. These traineeships are starting in March and September and last from 2 to 5 months. The modalities are presented under this link: http://www.coe.int/en/web/jobs/traineeships.